The Homepage of AsLing as an international professional association —
The International Association for Advancement in Language Technology
… derives it acronym, AsLing, from its full name, in French: Association internationale pour la promotion des technologies Linguistiques.
Why French? ASLING is an international non-profit association governed by Articles 60 ff. of the Swiss Civil Code, registered in the Canton of Geneva, Switzerland, in June 2014.
- promote the use of information technology in the fields of language, translation, terminology and related fields;
- organize and manage conferences to achieve its objective;
- defend the professional, economic, social, legal and moral interests of stakeholders in its fields of competence in general and its members in particular;
- provide the general public and its members in particular, a better understanding of the contribution of technology in the fields of language, translation, terminology and related fields;
- promote training and professional development and to provide stakeholders in its fields of competence in general and its members in particular, the material means to achieve this goal, including through studies, meetings, lectures, debates and discussion;
- engage in research activities in its fields of competence;
- set up and maintain websites, forums, discussion groups and mailing lists in its fields of competence.
Translating and the Computer
Upon its inception, in June 2014, AsLing took over the long-running conference series, Translating and the Computer, established in 1978 by the former UK not-for-profit professional association Aslib, under whose management the 1978 conference and subsequent annual conferences were held from 1980 through 2013. By the end of 2020 AsLing has successfully carried out seven sessions of this series, beginning with TC36 in 2014 through TC42 in 2020. From the inception of the conference through until 2019 the first 42 sessions were all held at various conference venues in London (UK). TC42 was held as a virtual conference, online. The eighth, TC43, is being organized in 2021, and will also take place online.